- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 finely chopped yellow onion
- 4 cups chopped broccoli
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups nonfat milk
- 4 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ⅔ cup panko breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon paprika
Note: Youll also need a large broiler-safe skillet! I love this one from Amazon!
How to make Cheesy Ground Beef & Broccoli Casserole
- Preheat broiler and ensure the rack is in the upper portion of the oven.
- Cook ground beef + onion in a large skillet over medium heat, breaking each beef section apart into smaller pieces. Fully cook, ensuring the beef is no longer pink.
- Add broccoli, flour, sage and garlic into the skillet, stirring constantly until the beef and vegetables are well coated in the flour mixure
- Add milk and simmer over medium-high heat. Stir until the substance is thickened.
- Add cream cheese and cheddar cheese, stirring around until melted. Salt/Pepper if desired.
- Mix in the breadcrumbs, oil and paprika in a smaller bowl and sprinkle evenly over the mixture in the skillet
- Broil the casserole until the breadcrumbs are golden brown
Nutrition: 528 calories | 30 g of fat | 25 g of carbs | 38 g of protein (serving size 1 1/3 cups)
Adapted from Eating Well, Carolyn Malcoun: https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/7989666/cheesy-ground-beef-broccoli-casserole/